Meshes in OpenFOAM
- OpenFOAM uses Cartesian coordinates. All the cases in OpenFOAM are computed as a three-dimensional. Even if the case is one-dimensional or two-dimensional, it is necessary to have at least one volume cell in each direction.
- In general, there are three ways how to create mesh for OpenFOAM:
- Creating mesh in blockMesh – part of OpenFOAM
- Creating mesh in snappyHexMesh – part of OpenFOAM
- Creating mesh with other tools and importing it to OpenFOAM. OpenFOAM supports following mesh conversions:
- OpenFOAM always uses unstructured meshes. Meshes have following structure:
nameOfTheTestCase constant polyMesh Mesh directory points List of mesh points faces List of mesh faces owner List of owners of all entities neighbour List of neighbours boundary List of boundaries of the mesh